Join Heroslodge / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 104 members, 1,358 topics. Date: June 20, 2018, 10:20 am
Heroslodge Forum / Crime / One-month-old baby escapes death as fire razes building in Lagos (1 Post | 139 Views)
One-month-old baby escapes death as fire razes building in Lagos by Noblex: 3:50 am On Dec 27, 2017
A tragedy was averted in the Akowonjo area of Lagos State on Tuesday as residents rescued a one-month-old baby while fire razed a building on Adesina Street. Our correspondents gathered that the mother of the baby was sewing in a shop in front of the bungalow when the fire started around 10 am.
The mother was reported to have said she smelt something burning, but she could not tell what it was until her neighbours raised the alarm. It was gathered that the mother rushed out of the shop, as occupants of buildings on the street also came out. She discovered that it was her house that was on fire.
It was gathered that she rushed inside the house and she discovered that many apartments in the building were already on fire with thick smoke billowing from the building.
A middle- aged occupant of the building was seen crying and searching for her eight - year -old son , who was later discovered to have fled the house immediately it was engulfed in flames .
Some of the occupants of the building were seen salvaging their belongings , including generators , guitars and clothes.
Some of the salvaged materials were kept inside a parish of a church close to the scene .
The fire raged as sympathisers struggled to put it out without water because there was no electricity to pump water from a borehole close to the building.
Owners of other buildings on the adjoining streets were seen making holes in their fences to pass water hose to the scene to help in putting out the fire .
Some angry residents wanted to attack officials of the Lagos State Fire Service , the Lagos State Emegency Management Agency and the Lagos State Neighbouhood Safety Corps , who came to fight the fire , for alleged slow response to their distress calls.
However , some of the residents persuaded the angry ones to allow the firefighters to work .
One of the residents , who identified himself as Kamar , told one of our correspondents that a 10 - year - old boy caused the fire.
Viewing this topic: 1 guest viewing this topic(Go Up)
|Heroslodge - Copyright © 2016 - Present Emmanuel Worthwhile & Ufuoma Odomero. All rights reserved. Follow Heroslodge on Facebook|
Disclaimer: Every Heroslodge member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Heroslodge.